Canon M50 thoughts so far & image quality vs Samsumg s9

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Sam_85 New Member • Posts: 15
Canon M50 thoughts so far & image quality vs Samsumg s9

Hi all,

So after much deliberation and reading all of your comments I went ahead and bought the m50. My initial thoughts after a brief try out of the camera:

• The user interface is great, it's really easy to use, with a bright touchscreen, much better than my old dslr!
  • Photos in natural daylight look good although I haven't had chance to fully test this yet and compare to my other cameras/phone
  • Zoom lens seems good
  • Build quality is great, feels good to hold, lenses are nice and small which is what I wanted

However...the big negative is that I am struggling to get photos indoors and close up that are even close to the quality I get from my Samsung s9! This seems crazy! I thought that the bigger sensor would mean more detail and better image quality but it's just not the case. So far I've only tried auto and aperture priority but the detail and sharpness is so much better on my s9 it's crushing, I so wanted the canon to be better in this regard. I know this could be improved with a prime/macro lens but I kind of feel that after paying a fair bit of money for a dedicated camera it should be better than a phone?!

Can anyone explain this? Would the quality be better on any other mirrorless camera in this price range? Or is this normal and if so why? 😭

See below a few examples:

S9:

Canon:

S9:

Canon:

S9:

M50:

S9:

M50:

S9:

M50:

These are obviously just quick tests I've done and I'll test it more tonight but it does seem such a shame that my phone is producing better low light and close up images.... even when I enlarge the images it's still better 😔

Just wondering your thoughts on this? I can show more examples if needed 🙂

Canon EOS M50 (EOS Kiss M) Nikon Coolpix S9 Sony a9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
KEG
0lf
KEG
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow