PanaLeica 10-25mm F1.7 Questions

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
MOD Tom Caldwell Forum Pro • Posts: 38,079
Re: Cheaper in Oz.

Guy Parsons wrote:

Pete_W wrote:

Guy Parsons wrote:

Tom, while looking for something else I did find the Aussie price at a Brisbane store https://www.camerapro.com.au/panasonic-leica-dg-10-25mm-f-1-7-asph-lens.html

Start saving now.

The AUD will really kill demand for gear like this!

B&H price US$1797.99 plus tax

Brisbane price Oz$2689 includes tax, so tax free price Oz$2444.55 = US$1675.09 on today's rate. So that lens is actually cheaper in Australia.

Aussies can get that tax refunded at the airport when going on holidays within 60 days of purchase, of course they need to declare that value when coming back in (they do keep track of you) but by then it is a used item and I've always been waved through with expensive gear declared.

As an aside I will 99% sure buy the Panasonic 8-18mm lens for my next holiday....

B&H price US$1097.99 plus tax.

Aussie price Oz$1078 includes tax, and tax removed Oz$980 = US$671.53 - again seems a bit cheaper than USA.

Maybe our weak dollar is working for us as the retailers try to avoid sticker shock and Hong Kong competition.

Regards.... Guy

Yes to be sure - in Australia vendor have to work harder for their money - Panasonic may also have forward purchased currency some time ago. Or (more probably “and”) Panasonic are subsidising Australian stock the local distributor to prevent local sales falling right over the cliff.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
TRP
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow