PanaLeica 10-25mm F1.7 Questions

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
JordanDrake
OP JordanDrake dpreview Admin • Posts: 122
Re: PanaLeica 10-25mm F1.7 Questions

Michael Meissner wrote:

A few questions come to mind, but these are more impressions type questions, and I assume that you would cover it when you come out with the video on the lens.

Obviously the main competitor to this lens is the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 EF lens with the Viltrox or Metabones speed booster adapter (as you alluded to in the announcement video). Do you see any scenarios where the Sigma/speed booster is the obvious winner compared to the Panasonic? From a raw specs point of view, the Sigma combination wins over the Panasonic lens in the range they share, by being a step faster. Also, if you are starting out, the Sigma/speed boaster is 1/2 the price of the 10-25mm. But the Panasonic gives you more wide angle, is splash proof, and is a bit lighter.

This is the main comparison I'm interested in, as the Sigma 18-35/Metabones Booster is my primary setup. The Sigma/Metabones combo will certainly give you more light, and shallower DOF if those are your primary goals. However, the 10-25mm gives you that wonderful 20mm equivalent that I really missed working with the Sigma. Also, having a zoom with next to no focus breathing is a revelation. You'll start seeing a lot more focus pulls in our episodes.

How well does the clickless apertures work in real life for video work.

Shockingly well. Very smooth aperture changes, and the F-stop is reflected in camera very precisely.

Given the preview mentioned that it didn't have hard stops for focusing and zoom, how does this affect using things like follow focus in real life?

I wouldn't be comfortable attaching a motorized follow focus without manually setting the macro/infinity points. However, if I did that and attached a proper lens gear, it should work fine.

If you have used the Olympus pro lenses, how does the manual focus clutch compare to those lenses? I know with the Olympus lenses, every user goes through a stage where the lens isn't auto-focusing, and it turns out they had the clutch right enabled. I assume something similar will happen with this lens.

Yes. Happened to Chris today.

If you have older Panasonic bodies on hand or any Olympus bodies, are there things that don't work on other gear than the G9/GH5/GH5s (and maybe G95) that were unexpected? The lens doesn't have OIS, so that isn't an issue.

I've only used it on the GH5/GH5S so far. I'll drop it on the E-M1X and GM5 later this week. Should look pretty amusing on the GM5.

Given the lens is a heavy lens, how is the balance for run-and-gun video shooting?

Fantastic! Balances wonderfully on the GH5.

Are you already lobbying Panasonic to come out with a companion lens for this that is longer (say a 25-75mm or 25-50mm f/1.7 lens).

I think that would make perfect sense if this lens does well. I think it really depends on how many video professionals Panasonic can get this lens to. It really checks a huge number of boxes.

How is flare on the lens?

I've had NDs on throughout my first two shoots, so I can't say for sure. I can say that even with NDs, it is MUCH better than the Sigma/Metabones combo, one big reason I'm looking to switch to the 10-25mm.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
TRP
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow