16-bit vs. 8-bit TIFFs

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JustGeorge Regular Member • Posts: 240
16-bit vs. 8-bit TIFFs

Riffing off of another current thread re: Tiffs & PDF/PSD. Topaz Studio and Affinity Photo both offer 8-bit as well as 16-bit TIFF saves/exports. I haven't come across anything that explains why 8-bit is offered.

I shoot/process for printing (for myself). Further editing is always an option, as I learn better technique or discover a new paper or just want to play.

A slight tweak to a TIFF in Topaz Studio, then saved to 3 different formats yields the following: 16-bit TIFF 138mb, 8-bit TIFF 69.3 mb, JPEG 15.4mb.

My question is: what is the value and/or purpose of the 8-bit TIFF?

[EDIT]  I just read another post about JPEG compression, how it varies depending on the software.  I just ran the exact same image thru Affinity Photo, launching TS and making the same edit, back to AP, then exporting to the same three formats.  AP 16-bit TIFF is still 133mb, 8-bit is 39.7, JPEG is 22.3mb.  The 8-bit TIFF and JPEG from AP have noticeably different sizes than from TS, the 16-bit TIFF is slightly different size..

JustGeorge's gear list:JustGeorge's gear list
Nikon D7200 Olympus PEN-F Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S +1 more
ANSWER:
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow