Tulip Hood

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
CX Bob
CX Bob Senior Member • Posts: 2,635
Tulip Hood

I was just looking at an advertised lens and wondering if it was enough of a deal to mention here. I decided "Nope!" But just as I was about to close the window, I noticed one of those little 'extra' ads which caught my interest. This advertisement showed the availability of a 'screw-in tulip hood' for this same lens. Huh? Am I missing something?
To the best of my incredibly brilliant reasoning ability, ( ) the idea behind a tulip hood is to have the most extensive (efficient) hood length working for both the horizontal and vertical parts of your rectangular 'frame' without causing vignetting. As such, it has longer 'petals' above and below the top and bottom of a photo you might take in horizontal or panoramic position, because there's room to work with. It has shorter petals for the left and right sides of this same shot, because you're closer to the limits of your 'image circle', and you're better off with a little less 'sun-screen' efficiency than risking literally 'getting in the way' of your image.
So the bottom line for me is that a 'tulip hood' needs to be precisely designed to be mounted on a given lens properly. This won't happen with a 'screw mount', unless you're very very lucky!  ( :

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow