Bride and Groom with only 85mm

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Leon_killa
OP Leon_killa New Member • Posts: 7
Re: Bride and Groom with only 85mm

techjedi wrote:

Leon_killa wrote:

Dear all,

I am a beginner in photography, coming form videography sector and would appreciate your advise on the following situation:

The couple asked to make a photo shoot of their wedding. But they want me to take photos only of them two(bride and groom). So we will go out for 4-5 hours to the downtown and the sea side to get a variety of different photos of them. I plan to have 85mm 1.8 most of the time however I also plan to take either 16-35 f/2.8 or 24-70 f2.8 for some wider shots. My vision is that 16-35 would be a better option in this case... what your thoughts are on this matter? I would appreciate any advises as I am still learning.

Thanks in advance,

Leon

The only issue with the 85mm is how far you might need to stand back to get full body shots.

In portrait orientation, with a couple max height of about 5'11" (1.8m), you will need to stand 13.94 feet (4.25m) away from the subjects. You will need to stand farther if you want to do a landscape composition and even farther if you don't want it to be tightly composed.

I recommend taking the 24-70 f2.8. It will give you comfortable balance of wide shots and close shots while standing at a reasonable range. The 16-35 will require you to stand close enough that facial features will experience perspective distortion which can be unflattering to some people.

Thank for your advice, and all other advices I received on this forum, very useful. I will do as you guys recommended. Will have 24-70 as my main lens and for portraits at some nice spots I will swap to 85mm.

Thanks a lot,

Leon

Leon_killa's gear list:Leon_killa's gear list
Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow