32" or 34" 4K IPS Monitor

Started Jun 17, 2019 | Discussions thread
ppage
ppage Senior Member • Posts: 2,079
Re: 32" or 34" 4K IPS Monitor

Charles2 wrote:

ppage wrote:

I also have some concerns about trying to do noise removal when editing images at 100% on a monitor with the very small pixels found in 4K monitors.

Couldn't you view the image at 200% while you do the noise reduction?

Unfortunately, noise reduction is really about the image pixels.  I could view an image at 200% but then I wouldn't be seeing the image pixels; I'd be seeing a representation of them, each image pixel being represented by two or more monitor pixels. And that's more or less what I'm wondering about because pixels are discrete and arranged in a grid format.  How is an image pixel represented at 200%? If it's a square of 4 monitor pixels then the image is being viewed at 400%, not 200%. If it's represented by 2 pixels they must be arranged either vertically or horizontally, and that doesn't make sense; if all the pixels were displayed that way the image would be either twice as long or twice as high as when viewed at 100%. So is 1 pixel displayed as a 4x4 square of monitor pixels while one or more other image pixels are not displayed at all?  Anyway, whatever the algorithm is, it seems clear that the image at 200% is not a simple and accurate enlargement of the original image.

How would this inaccuracy affect image processing? Maybe hardly at all; I'm just not sure.    Much as I would love it if some local vendor had a few 32" monitors on display with Photoshop running so buyers can experiment I can see why that's just not going to happen.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow