generally flat lighting with additional focussed shadow till the end

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
jlafferty Contributing Member • Posts: 712
Re: generally flat lighting with additional focussed shadow till the end

It looks like the shadow has been cleaned up in post, i.e. the edge has been straightened.

The cleanest shadow edges come from a fresnel because the rays arriving at the subject are parallel. A grid has a similar result though my gut tells me with greater light loss. A focused spot with a lens can work, too, though it generally has blue fringing at the edge.

The relationship of light distance to subject, and subject distance to wall/floor should be taken into account as well. You need to get the light as far away as possible from the subject; and the subject as close to the surface you want your shadow projected on.

The flatness comes from filling the shadows with a secondary, or multiple secondary sources, with coverage bigger than your subject. You do this classically either directly behind camera, or directly behind your key light (no matter its axis).

If you've got more examples, and especially examples with the model's face, that could be helpful.

icoh wrote:

hello,

I have a question about the studio lighting for portrait and products.

I found this image on internet...and wondering how to make this lighting.
ceiling bounced top light which goes around the object
side light (strobe +honeycumb grid) to make shadow...

but the difference is
I will not get sharp unnatural shadow

Does anybody have a suggestion about lighting for this???

thank you,

-- hide signature --

http://jimlafferty.com
General scoundrel. Evocative beats academic.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
BAK
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow