Need Help: 80d vs 6500 vs AR7ii (more than just the specs)

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Baggins22 Junior Member • Posts: 26
Need Help: 80d vs 6500 vs AR7ii (more than just the specs)

Hey Everybody,

I currently have a Canon 80D, but am thinking about making the switch to mirrorless. Mainly due to size/weight/4K/autofocus system and IQ. I have narrowed it down to the a6500 or the A7R ii.

Im mostly do family vacations and photos of daughter, use a bit with video in combo with my gopro.

I can find all the stats on these camera, and understand the most of the strengths and weaknesses, but their are a few areas im missing around the actual usability

If i had to summarize, both the sonys will beat the canon in almost all the categories i care about. So then the question is, which to pick between the 6500 and the A7Rii

• 6500 seems be slightly better in video, but a7r ii is FF and better for still photos
  • Im leaning towards the A7RII, but have a few concerns:
    • How is the menu, i have heard this terrible (slightly better on the 6500)
    • im really used to the 80d touchscreen, esp for video focusing, how is using the ar7II without a touchscreen? how to you focus on a subject in video
    • I like the size of the 6500, but have read its almost so small, with it feeling unbalanced with a normal 24-70 lens and that their are not enough actual buttons, which makes it a bit cumbersome to use
    • Is the lack of a top LCD screen like the 80d a big loss?

Thanks for all the advice in advance

Canon EOS 80D Sony a6500 Sony a7R II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow