Looking for info on the 24-85vr

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
PHXAZCRAIG
OP PHXAZCRAIG Forum Pro • Posts: 15,552
Re: Looking for info on the 24-85vr

afoton wrote:

PHXAZCRAIG wrote:

Question 1 - how close does the lens focus at both 24 and 85 mm ranges?

38cm over water. If this change under water, I don't know.

I would be shooting through a dome port, which has significant optical implications.

When you shoot through a dome, you actually focus on a virtual image a certain distance from the dome itself, with the image plane distance a certain percentage of the dome's size. (Bigger dome = virtual image farther away).  Since the virtual image is pretty close, it is necessary to have a lens that focuses close, or you must use diopters to help it.

Question 2 - how flat is the focus plane for this lens?

I don't use it for flat objects, so I actually do not care. At least it is flat enough for all I have used it for.

I am not sure the virtual image is 'flat' either, but I've heard that the curved plane of focus of the 14-24 is a reason that lens tends not to work well underwater.

Question 3 - have you seen any VR issues, particularly around 1/160th-1/250th?

No

Good.  1/160th-1/200th is my typical shooting speed, due to flash sync limits.

Question 4 - what about corners? Do they clear up significantly at some f-stop? Is so, what? (Underwater performance here tends to be worse, sometimes a lot worse.)

I have never ran into any problems with corners.

Corners are the arch-enemy of underwater photography.   If a lens starts out weak in the corners, things degrade very quickly indeed, though underwater one tends to shoot a lot more stopped down than above, mostly because of corners.

I typically shoot a wide zoom at F8-F16 and a macro at F16-32, so shooting wide open isn't an expectation.

Then, neighter curved focal plane or corner should be any problem over water. How it will perform under water, I have no idea.

I don't know that the focal plane is flatter stopped down, though it should be effectively wider.

-- hide signature --

Phoenix Arizona Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +37 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow