Keep/Return (?) the 470 EX-Ai (5D Mark III)

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
mackitten Regular Member • Posts: 168
Keep/Return (?) the 470 EX-Ai (5D Mark III)

Hello!

My thoughtful husband purchased a 470 EX-Ai for me for our anniversary.

I was intending to use it on my Mark III but after a quick search found out that it is not fully compatible.

"Yes, the EOS 5D Mark III is not compatible with Full Auto mode on this flash which means the tapping of the shutter button will not make the flash dictate the proper flash angle for your shot, but it is compatible with the Semi-Auto shooting"

In addition to my 5D Mark III I also have

60D

M50

ST-E2 IR Speedlite Transmitter

430EX - II

270EX (maybe v1)

We were mesmerized my the autoness and novelty, but as I read more about it and reviews, Im not sure its going to be much of an advancement over my 430 especially with only partial compatibility and knowing I know how to turn the bounce head myself (and probably take me longer to press all the buttons to test and setup the bounce then just turn it)

I generally have my bounce on auto and at times adjust the flash compensation (if thats the word)

Although I have the transmitter I purchased when I was shooting animals at a rescue and when I was thinking about a business in photography but Ive stuck with my day job and mostly now just photograph family at get togethers, my pets, my grandson and my nephew

Wondering if I should return the AI and maybe get a flash more fitted to my recent gift of the M50 that I take out and about ( I find I take the 5D out of the house very little) Maybe the Canon Speedlite EL-100 but $200 seems steep for that or...? (the 270 would be fine but I like a little more bounce options)

Thanks!!!

-- hide signature --

warning: I enjoy photographing my cats

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS M50 (EOS Kiss M)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow