Which of these is the best options for offering print options on my website?

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JustinSmithPhotography Forum Member • Posts: 98
Which of these is the best options for offering print options on my website?

I'm about to begin the process of an overhaul on my website and landscape photography business. Currently, my business is functionally inactive. I'm not really making the push to advertise or promote at the moment because I'm still working out the kinks of the business, and I still have to put a lot of $$$ into having expensive prints ready for art fairs. My website hasn't been updated in a while because I'm going to overhaul it completely in Wordpress instead of using my own code.

I have decided recently to focus only on high quality prints. There are a million people who offer cheap inkjet and canvas wrap images. Competing with them doesn't seem profitable. I'm going to stop offering that type of low-end work, and also stop offering smaller sizes that have a low sale-per-item value. My target audience is made up of businesses who want high quality art decorating their walls, and wealthy people who have lots of wall-space and money to afford the prints. I'm looking to use art fairs as a way to occasionally make a sale, but mostly to make connections with people who might be interested in buying something for their business or mansion later.

I'm actually looking at focusing entirely on prints from one company, Nevada Art Printers, because I like the quality of their HD Lumachrome prints. My cost of production for one print can run over $1000 for the largest size with options, plus shipping.

Here is what I want to know. I plan to offer online purchasing, and besides the size differences (planning to offer 24x36 and 40x60, both limited editions), I want allow flexibility for finishing options. The most common way this company sells their Lumachrome prints is with a transparent acrylic front, opaque acrylic back, and a stand-out frame behind the print that keeps it a couple inches off the wall. There's no border frame, and it hangs using a french cleat. I think this presentation looks good for modern decoration (such as a wall in an office lobby). But I also think that in rooms with a lot of wood furniture, it would look better with some kind of frame, and if the room is darker than normal, it's good to have a dark border around it to make it stand out more.

So with that in mind, would it be better to have a specific set of options on the site that they choose from, or better to have them email me with the size they want, and all other options we can work out in communication by email? The benefit of the latter is that it allows for a range of options much larger than what I would want to display on the site, and I could even ask them to send me phone shots of the place where they want the image to go so that I can offer suggestions on what would look best there. The downside of this is that it would effectively disable instant purchasing, since we'd need to talk in email before I could give them a final price.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow