New with RX100 VI

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JeremyB2 Regular Member • Posts: 185
New with RX100 VI

I initially purchased a RX100 VI from E-infinity as a grey import into the UK. Unfortunately the left press on the control wheel failed to open the selected function reliably. I returned the camera but, bearing in mind that the 12 month warranty provided by E-infinity covers labour only, I decided that despite the very considerable cost saving I would ask for a refund rather than exchange. I must give praise to E-infinity because throughout the pre-order, order, and product return situation they handled everything rapidly and efficiently.

I then ordered a RX100 VI from John Lewis in the UK who offer a £100 cashback which helps to ease the price pain a little bit. They also offer a 2 year warranty at no additional cost.

Initial impressions of the camera are very favourable. It has a solid feel to it and the controls, although small, work well (aside from my initial experience!). Having read many comments about the complexity of the menu system and the rather poor Sony manual, I purchased both the paperback and digital versions of Alexander White's excellent guide. Without this I think things might have been frustrating and protracted. I have been able to get to grips with the basics reasonably quickly, although there is certainly a lot to learn to get the best out of this camera. Information from people like Elliott and others here is being very helpful.

I'm glad that I purchased additional batteries and a charger as a battery - whether Sony or DuraPro X - runs down quite rapidly when playing with menu set up, etc.

I've done little in the way of serious photography yet, but I am very happy with the results I have seen so far compared with my Canon SX50 with its small sensor. How much I may miss the 50X zoom of the Canon remains to be seen. I shall be trekking in Nepal in October and ideally would like to take only the Sony but I shall need to be confident that if I don't take the Canon as well I'm not going to miss that big zoom too much.

I will be asking questions of you knowledgeable folks here, I'm sure! J.

JeremyB2's gear list:JeremyB2's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Sony RX100 VI
Sony RX100 VI
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow