***6/16/2019-6/23/2019 Weekly Show, Tell, and Critique***

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Dirkvd001
Dirkvd001 Junior Member • Posts: 33
Re: This is what happens when you . . .

At the danger of sounding like an ass (not unusual for me), I have the feeling that less aggressive noise reduction would make the image useful at more resolutions. If you view the image at reduced pixel count, the noise averages out anyway. And if you view at high pixel counts, what noise reduction does to patterned stuff like rippling water or grass stalks in meadows kills perspective since the detail frequency's increase at higher distance gets pasteled over.

At any rate, I try to keep enhancements (sharpening, exposure corrections, contrast and microcontrast adjustments, shadow lifting) moderate enough that most uniform areas are not significantly affected by noise and when I find that some stuff—often the sections gliding out of focus—is too noisy even when trying to be moderate with other corrections, I try prodding up noise reduction very carefully until the perceived problem is not gone but lost most of its distractive value.

This is the basic strategy I also follow when working with my Panasonic DMC-FZ200, even though compromise-finding on this 1/2.3" 12MP camera is much more challenging because of its inherently higher noise level and quite finer pixel pitch. My results there tend to be quite noisier and less well-defined but still not with this kind of watercolor effect I find distracting.

Newer cameras may require less work for getting good results, but I am not convinced that some of the typical choices taken in noise reduction make the best of the large pixel numbers they sport.

All the best

You certainly give a good explanation concerning noise reduction. I tend to move the sliders too much to the right So your point is certainly valid. I will try and see if I get better results on the same picture following your tips.

Thx.

-- hide signature --

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it. - Confucius

Dirkvd001's gear list:Dirkvd001's gear list
Sony RX10 IV
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow