an unexpected visitor arrived ...

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Gee Emm Regular Member • Posts: 113
an unexpected visitor arrived ...

Last summer I was working with a local tradie doing some landscaping around the house, lots of machinery noises etc.

Much to my surprise, I noticed that a large Wedgetail eagle had landed on my unfinished garage, and seemed to be surveying progress. We watched him for five minutes or so, and unusally for these generally shy creatures, it seemed pretty settled, so I thought I would try to get in the house and get the camera, for which I had to walk very close to him. He watched closely, but didn't move, with the result that I was able to get a handful of shots before he took off. He was not happy with the shutter sound, and that was what sent him on his way.

Note the hooded eye, and the powerful hooked beak, for ripping carrion apart.

Not happy with that clicking sound, he watches me closely

About to leave

Probably not fully grown, his wingspan was about 1.8m, There is a breeding pair that I see hunting on a regular basis, and I have seen a pair feeding next door, with a juvenile chased away when he wanted a feed too, presumably the adults telling him he is big enough to find his own tucker!

This one however left without being fed.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow