Can a shutter count be incorrect?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
SQLGuy Veteran Member • Posts: 7,487
Re: Can a shutter count be incorrect?

dressedlikerappers wrote:

Paul Barnard wrote:

dressedlikerappers wrote:

hey, a bit of a weird/pointless and dumb question but basically I just got a new a7iii, fired off a shot, checked the shot, shutter count was on two websites said it was at 2, all good - I shot it as a fine jpg - i don’t remember taking any more shots after that

I updated my camera to get the new firmware and took another photo and the shutter count was now at 5? - different sd card, shot in extra fine + raw.

because i shot it on two different SD cards I can’t get the file names to align.

if I didn’t shoot off any other snaps (which I’m really not entirely sure of, but I don’t generally delete stuff so I want to say I didn’t) - any chance the original reading of 2 shots was wrong?

reason for investigating is I’m annoyingly pedantic and Sony a7iii’s don’t come factory sealed in Australia anymore so i wanted to see if it had been used before. Thanks for humouring me!

I would say your body was factory fresh. Nothing to worry about there.

The camera looks like it came with one actuation which was probably a test fire in the factory. Your first shutter click made the two.

As already mentioned either the update or simply power cycling might well have triggered the hot pixel mapping function which happens periodically. Or if you hit the shutter with the lens cap on, or it was simply dark, the camera would take a dark frame for noise reduction resulting in two actuations per shot.

The image ID recorded doesn’t necessarily correspond to the shutter actuations.

starting to come to that conclusion - I know it’s very pedantic but I’m quite (medically diagnosed) ocd about my things haha it’s frustrating as hell but I’m also just curious as to why.

yeah for sure they a7iii’s should all have 1 test shot just can’t figure out how it got from 2 to 5, but for the sake of scratching my head I’m gonna have to assume it was during the update or I took a photo or two by mistake and deleted them and don’t remember. if I took one with the cap on would it actually save it as an image?

I checked this data as actuation counts not image ID

Yes, a dark frame taken with the lens cap on would save a shot.

Not sure whether a custom white balance shot would fire the shutter or not... that might be another possibility.

Also not sure whether EFCS off counts as two actuations per frame... it should, but not sure if it does.

I think you should check your actuation count now; ensure that all multi-frame features are disabled, and that EFCS is on; take five more shots; and verify that that increments the actuation count by 5.

-- hide signature --

A7R2 with SEL2470Z and a number of adapted lenses (Canon FD, Minolta AF, Canon EF, Leica, Nikon...); A7R converted to IR.

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon EOS-1D Nikon D200 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 +16 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow