France trip advice

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
tarakanchik Contributing Member • Posts: 970
France trip advice

Hi all, looking for some suggestions for my up-coming France trip. I usually plan vacations fairly thoroughly but this one sneaked up on me.  I like to move around on my vacations, take some pictures, see cool castles/churches, etc. -- pretty usual touristy stuff, though I can't afford (timewise) to stay in one place for 2 weeks.  I've been to France before:  Paris, Mont Saint Michel, and French Rivera so I can skip these places this time (besides a couple of days in Paris).

Here's what I have so far:  Planning on spending the Bastile Day weekend in Paris (is this a bad idea by the way?) and then taking a train to Bordeaux (or should I drive?  Are there things worth seeing on the way?).

After a day or two in Bordeaux, thinking of renting a car and exploring the Dordogne region (what's the minimum I'd have to spend here to get a taste of the place?).  I can google the must sees here (plus there've been recent threads on it here) but if someone already has a tried-and-true itinerary they wouldn't mind sharing, I'd appreciate it.

After, I need to end up in Toulouse for 4-5 days from where I want to take day trips to Andorra and Carcassonne, anything else nearby worth visiting?

Between Bordeaux and Toulouse I'm hoping to sneak a quick 2-4 day visit to North Spain, any recommendations here?

Thanks!

-- hide signature --

I lug my photo equipment everywhere. Is it heavy? Yes. Is it uncomfortable and cumbersome? Absolutely. Is it often an inconvenience? You bet. But is it all worth it? Sometimes...

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow