Can a shutter count be incorrect?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
Paul Barnard
Paul Barnard Senior Member • Posts: 2,931
Re: Can a shutter count be incorrect?

dressedlikerappers wrote:

hey, a bit of a weird/pointless and dumb question but basically I just got a new a7iii, fired off a shot, checked the shot, shutter count was on two websites said it was at 2, all good - I shot it as a fine jpg - i don’t remember taking any more shots after that

I updated my camera to get the new firmware and took another photo and the shutter count was now at 5? - different sd card, shot in extra fine + raw.

because i shot it on two different SD cards I can’t get the file names to align.

if I didn’t shoot off any other snaps (which I’m really not entirely sure of, but I don’t generally delete stuff so I want to say I didn’t) - any chance the original reading of 2 shots was wrong?

reason for investigating is I’m annoyingly pedantic and Sony a7iii’s don’t come factory sealed in Australia anymore so i wanted to see if it had been used before. Thanks for humouring me!

I would say your body was factory fresh. Nothing to worry about there.

The camera looks like it came with one actuation which was probably a test fire in the factory. Your first shutter click made the two.

As already mentioned either the update or simply power cycling might well have triggered the hot pixel mapping function which happens periodically.  Or if you hit the shutter with the lens cap on, or it was simply dark, the camera would take a dark frame for noise reduction resulting in two actuations per shot.

The image ID recorded doesn’t necessarily correspond to the shutter actuations.

Paul Barnard's gear list:Paul Barnard's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Sony 1.4x Teleconverter (2016) Sony 2x Teleconverter (2016) +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow