Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Tom Axford Veteran Member • Posts: 6,238
Re: Perspective (yet again, sorry!)

WunWegWunDarWun wrote:

Tom Axford wrote:

WunWegWunDarWun wrote:

Tom Axford wrote:

WunWegWunDarWun wrote:

I'm not sure what about this makes it "correct" or preferred, if anything I would expect a criteria that the print occupies the same area in the field of vision that the original scene did in the photographers field of vision, this would mean BIF photos would have to be viewed from across a huge hallway.

To my reading, that is exactly what he means by "correct perspective". I'm really puzzled why you should think otherwise.

I'll clarify: this recreates what the photographer saw in his field of vision when looking through the TTL viewfinder of a camera or ground glass, not what a cameraless viewer would see with his eyes from the viewpoint of the camera, except maybe at whatever angle of view we decided human vision has.

The TTL viewfinder has a fixed eyepiece, it does not change when the camera lens is changed. The passage I quoted from the Manual of Photography said that the contact print (essentially the same as the ground glass in a TTL viewfinder) must be viewed from a distance equal to the focal length of the taking lens. To do this you would need to change the viewfinder eyepiece every time you changed the focal length of the camera lens.

Perhaps you were thinking of TLR, TTL means through-the-lens which encompasses [d]SLRs and mirrorless, and technically the ground glass is also a TTL viewfinder.

I was meaning any viewfinder with a ground glass image produced by the camera lens, so the ground glass image is exactly the same size as the actual image on the film or the sensor and hence the same size as a contact print (as mentioned in quoted extract).

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
tko
tko
tko
tex
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow