Frogs, Snake, Raccoon, Hummingbird, Bird in Nest & More (6/16)

Started 1 month ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
zackiedawg
zackiedawg Forum Pro • Posts: 31,382
Frogs, Snake, Raccoon, Hummingbird, Bird in Nest & More (6/16)

For my next thread, I've got a random potpourri of stuff of all types around the wetlands, all taken on March 30th.

There are the usual birds mixed in, but some unusual ones (for me) too - such as the hummingbirds which are very difficult finds down here in the wild - as opposed to when you can get them to come to a feeder.  I need to just randomly spot one in the forest, not easy with such a tiny bird.  And the blackbird sitting in her nest - another one you don't see as often because it's normally taboo to try to hunt down and photograph a bird in a nest, but here in Florida, the birds intentionally nest just a few feet from where humans are walking, figuring we're better protection against the true predators such as large wading birds and raccoons and snakes.

And I also had a lot of encounters with other critters to go along with the birds - with a mix of some amphibians, reptiles, and mammals for good measure.  It was a very busy day!

All shots taken with the A6300 and FE100-400mm combo, and all are posted at 1400 pixels on the long side if you click the originals:

Starting with the red-winged blackbird momma sitting in her nice little basket nest, protecting her eggs.  She was well hidden from the trail, even being just 5 feet away - I had to thread the focus through a lot of reeds and clutter to get a peek at her

A green heron down at the waterline, stalking through the reeds and duckweed on a fishing expedition

The frogs were out on that sunny day - here, a lovely patterned pig frog sits mostly in the water

This pig frog was mostly unpatterned, and had found a nice underwater leaf to rest on

A nice dark banded watersnake, all coiled up on top of the reeds just out of the water - another shot where I had to thread the focus through a bunch of reeds and clutter to get a peek at the snake

Passing by the same spot again, I saw the red-winged blackbird mom fly out to chase off another bird, then return back to her eggs - still a bit upset and calling out

A rather fat raccoon, seemed to have been eating well out in the wetlands! It was busy sniffing the ground for turtle eggs

Hummingbirds for others are common - down here, we don't get them as often - and we need to find them out in the wild flowers and forest areas as there are no feeders to draw them in.  This lovely male ruby-throated hummingbird was showing his namesake throat

The light wasn't great - I needed higher ISO to shoot fast enough shutter speeds - but I'll take any wild hummingbird in flight shots I can get!

He sampled lots of different flowers in the area, giving me a few good chances at him

A closer look in hover mode

One last flower visit

A glossy ibis flying off

Two black-bellied whistling ducks, chilling out on the bank

A black-necked stilt flying past the fields of flowers and reeds

Comments, questions, and critique welcomed as always!

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton +22 more
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Sony a6300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow