Decent new PC for old photographer... Under $1000? Possible?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
CBR1100XX Senior Member • Posts: 1,005
Re: Decent new PC for old photographer... Under $1000? Possible?

stanton wrote:

My suggested configuration would be...

• i7-8700 (8th Generation)
  • Integrated video (and be prepared to calibrate).
  • 16Gb RAM, although 8Gb would probably be OK.
  • 512Gb SSD
  • 2Tb HDD

Of your alternative computers, I'd go for the Dell. I found it difficult to navigate the Alienware site, and impossible to see what the actual configuration might be.

Somehing else to consider is a well-specified laptop computer driving your existing screen. I have a few laptop computers that I use for a range of applications, but not PS or LR. I'm sure that the best of my laptops would run LR quite well.

Newer systems are likely to include USB-C (New connector with improved speed and versatility, even video).

I appreciate your suggestions, but that configuration, without specific model suggestions would probably cost $1400+. I'm not sure the SSD is that important beyond startup and they tend to be smaller and I think I'd want to partition.

FYI... I have an XRite calibration system. Also my monitor, though old is a NEC Multi-sync 2690WUX. Not sure how old, but I paid $1300 even back in the day.

The SSD is important, SATA vs NVME isn't that big of a deal but VS a regular spinning drive either make a large difference especially in Lightroom and I'm seeing that with CPU's 1/3 slower than the one you're looking at.

And you can get a system with those specs other than the 2TB drive for 700 bucks if you buy Microcenter's house brand:

https://www.microcenter.com/product/511518/b729-desktop-computer

Just grab a 1-2TB SSD (MX500 or Evo 860) for 125-250 and you're good to go.

You might need a GPU if you're using a large monitor but for 150 you can get one that would be fine.

That all being said I'd still probably wait for a Dell because of the warranty you can get and come July 4th you should see prices closer to this. But if you can't wait that's an option.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow