Looking back.

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
stuburu1 Contributing Member • Posts: 646
Looking back.

I still find it interesting to see where my my love for the system began before the arrival of the 70-300 cx for my wildlife rambles.I wanted something that was not a burden to walk about with because as much as my dslr was satisfactory for more stationary shooting I still wanted something that I could use when having a look around.So having bought my fire sale V1,30-110 I needed something that could be used in not ideal conditions but not weigh me down.As I already had the Nikon 70-200 F4 that was used on the dslr for birds in flight all that was needed was the F.T.1. Adptr. Imagine 500 mm F4 I thought that was portable and so it all began.

Goldfinch dropping a teasel seed.V1,70-200 F4.

I was just packing up after an afternoon with the Ospreys when this Barn Owl surprisingly flew by.The dslr had been put away but the V1,70-200 F4 was handy enough to grab a couple of shots.

Coal Tit in the Spring. V1,70-200 F4.

Sleepy Great Crested Grebe and chick. V1,70-200 F4.

Came across this Spotted Flycatcher by chance in the woodland,needed F4 for this one. V1,70-200 F4.

Another chance encounter on a walk was this overwintering Stonechat with lunch to go! V1,70-200 F4.

Mute Swan having a preen.I always need something that allows me to be a bit nimble for grabs like this. V1,70-200 F4.

Back in 2014 I still hadn`t had good views of a Glossy Ibis in England so when one turned up in Lincolnshire I was off.I spent all day at the location looking around and being told on more than one occasion `it was here not five minutes ago`!So the big camera was replaced with something more portable as I decided to walk a mile or so to a spot where it had been seen on the majority of the time since it`s arrival.After about an hour I could see it in the distance and yes it was coming my way,rule one of birding photography`don`t chase after the birds`,stay put and it came as close as I have ever been to one since then. V1,70-200 F4.

I still use that lens today when I think that extra stop is needed as in this one taken the other day of a Starling feeding it`s young. V3,70-200 F4.

I know that people will have their own opinion regarding lens selection but there are many times when F4 is needed regardless of noise reduction in post processing for certain types of on the hoof photography,lets be honest 2.8 sometimes but then it just gets too heavy so I find this a great compromise.

Now I`m off for a brew,cheers.

Nikon 1 V3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow