Ideal Amateur Birding Setup - D500/500PF vs new combo: A9/200-600

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
arniebook Senior Member • Posts: 1,125
Re: Ideal Amateur Birding Setup - D500/500PF vs new combo: A9/200-600

krebnickel wrote:

Thanks! I already have a few questions that I don’t think I’ll find in the manuals:

1) with this lens attached, is it OK to hold the camera from the camera or do I always have to support the lens so as to not damage the area where it attaches from strain? Ive found already that when I am playing with the camera settings I have both hands on the body of the camera...

I have the 70-200 E FL which is about the same weight, and a bit longer.  I typically do not support the rig by holding only the camera except on rare occasions.  The rule of thumb here is "hold the unit which is heaviest".

2) related to that - for strap attachment - do I attach to the camera body, or with this 500PF should I be attaching to the lens mount (e.g., with the black rapid screw in attachment, or also I have peak design straps that have the little anchors you attach).

Same as above.  I really like a QR plate attached.  I modify it by milling or drilling a hole in the near end large enough for a carabiner to easily clip in and out.  That way my strap stays on even when on a monopod.  I also file the front end of the plate so it has a smooth, comfortable feel as I support it in my left hand.  Both my large lenses are done that way.  Picture later if you would like to see it ... gotta go shoot now!

Always be sure your releasable foot clamp screw is tight to avoid accidentally tripping the release.

3) I’ve never used filters to protect a lens before - but I’ve also never had a lens this valuable. What are people’s thoughts on this? I’d rather not use one if not necessary as I’ve always found the hood is protective enough and I don’t want to put a cheap piece of glass over a very expensive one.....

I personally alway protect the front element with a good clear filter.

Please let me know if I should be posting these questions elsewhere or at least on a separate thread.

THANKS!

-- hide signature --

What we spend on this stuff is equal to the depth of our pockets squared ($²) times what we (j)ustify in our minds as to what we expect to do with our pictures plus (+) the (e)njoyment we experience from using our stuff and sharing the result ... $xxxx=$²(j+e )

arniebook's gear list:arniebook's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Fsi
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow