Is a 7dII a "step up" from an 80D for birds in flight?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Myrgjorf Regular Member • Posts: 383
Re: Is a 7dII a "step up" from an 80D for birds in flight?

Bill_Edmunds wrote:

I'm a professional videographer but have been enjoying bird photography for just over a year now. I shoot with a Canon 80d, Canon 300mm f/4 lens, and Tamron 150-600mm G2. I'm not terribly happy with my success rate at getting birds in flight. Regardless of the lens, the camera seems to have a hard time focusing on fast moving birds. I've tried several different focus types (single point, etc). I always use a shutter speed of at least 1600, usually higher depending on the bird. I know there is far more to shooting BIF than the camera, but it seems that two cameras get mentioned for this stuff more than others: the Nikon D500 and Canon 7D mk II. Any thoughts on the topic?

The 7D mk ii has a more advanced AF system than the 80D with some extra modes I use a lot: single point with 4 or 8 point expansion is useful for BiF and single spot (small AF point) is useful for branched birds in complex environments. The 7D mk ii AF system is derived from the 1DX where the 80D AF system is a simplified version derived from the 1D mk IV as far as I know. I also use a 1DX mk ii and the AF systems are so similar with my 7D mk ii that I can use and configure them the same way so it it easy to switch between the two cameras. The 1DX mk ii gives me a higher hit rate than the 7D mk ii in complicated situations, however.

However the 80D AF system is not bad though more simple. My wife uses a 80D with the Canon 100-400 mk ii and she get good results in many cases. We haven't done formal comparisons but I think the 7D mk ii is a lot better than the 80D for fast moving birds. We recently had a session with fast flying bee-eaters and I think I got more sharp shots with the 1DX mk ii than by wife did with the 80D though she got some good shots. However, I used a gimbal and she used free hand and got tired so I had more chances.

The lens may affect the AF speed and precision so I would expect better results with native Canon white lenses than with Tamron or Sigma but I don't know for sure if that is the case.

-- hide signature --

Oh no! He should know by now that "equivalence" is a forbidden word for APS-C but perfectly allowed for 1” Sonys, compact cameras, smartphones and maybe even for M43s.

Myrgjorf's gear list:Myrgjorf's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus TG-5 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EOS M50 +17 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow