Re: Fujifilm 35mm F/1.4 vs F/2

akin_t wrote:

DarnGoodPhotos wrote:

kiwidad wrote:

DarnGoodPhotos wrote:

kiwidad wrote:

DarnGoodPhotos wrote:

akin_t wrote:

Image quality is a wash, all the talk about "magic" can be attributed to f/1.4; and if money was no object, I would get the f/1.4

The 35f1.4 has a different optical construction from the 35f2, so the “magic” is actually attributable to that; it’s the reason why the two lenses don’t render the same at f2. In an interview Fuji said they designed the f1.4 to have a specific type of rendering, and while having an extra stop of light gathering is great, that is not actually the reason why people like it’s IQ.

Fuji have never intentionally made a lens to inaccurately reproduce,,,,

please define how rendering and accurately reproduce are different?

I don't have time to find it for you, but there was an interview with a Fuji rep and he said that the 35 f1.4 was specifically designed to have the look it does and the 35 f2 is different.

sounds like a fun rep smoked something

But seriously why can I not find and side by side comparisons. Everything I find are shot claimed to be magic and different shots claimed to not be!

Do you really think that lenses with different optical constructions will render the scene exactly the same? And an extra stop of light can be the difference between using PD-AF and Contrast-AF.

Just google for comparisons, there are plenty of them out there.

I'm going to be honest with you... When people say "magic rendering" they sound like the folks that would talk of Zeiss "3D effect" some 5 years ago.

It's all subjective, the fact that words like "magic" and "effect" are being used as opposed to objective metrics like contrast and saturation speaks volumes... My guess is that people avoid using objective (and measurable) metrics since they are forced to back it up with comparisons.

Not calling anyone out, that's just how it comes across to me. If you shoot both lenses at f/2 or smaller, is this "magic" still apparent?

There’s some other effects going on...

a) a lot of people who get the more expensive lenses (not saying this one) but in general are often better photographers in the first place, so when you see images on Flickr, they are often better.

B) when somebody not so good buys a more expensive lens, they are aware of what they are shooting with and might go to greater lengths to take better photos with them.

in contrast, look at somebody like Damian lovegrove, this guy makes Pretty much all Fuji lenses look amazing.

Sure they do have a diff look but there is not a canyon of difference.

jjz2's gear list:jjz2's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 7artisans 35mm F1.2 Fujifilm 15-45mm F3.5-5.6 OIS PZ
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow