Decent new PC for old photographer... Under $1000? Possible?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
stanton Senior Member • Posts: 1,063
Decent new PC for old photographer... Under $1000? Possible?

I'm an old semi retired photographer. Closed my brick and mortar location 9 years ago. I've been working with digital imaging since 1996. First Photoshop version was v2. Capture One Pro v1. You get the picture. I've been around the block once or twice. I don't do tons of work any more, but still some. Not a ton of images to handle. No chasing brides. Just simple catalog stuff mostly and some portraits.

I've been chugging along on an HP business tower quadcore that had been upgraded... But it's dead. i haven't kept up with computer technology at all beyond the very, very basics. What I had, while not lightning fast did the job. And so I need someone to help me find the best computer to do what I need without breaking the bank. So a few questions to help me get mentally oriented. I probably need to make the purchase in the next day or two or 3...

Dedicated vs integrated graphics card? A dedicated card will bump the price point of a computer up. I am sensitive to image nuance. Will I notice a visual difference between an integrated card or do I just need to forget about that and just go with dedicated?

2) Processor: I'm thinking i7-8700 or Intel Xeon E3-1230V6 in some of the computes I've been eyeing. I know that the Xenon 1230 isn't the top of the line Xeon. Thoughts?

3) If you had to choose one of these two.... or recommend another at the same or better price points which would you buy?
a) Lenovo P320 w Xeon 1230v6 processor 
b)  Dell XPS 8930   Cheaper by about $250 Save the money as this one will be far and away good enough?
c)Alienware PC with Intel Core i7-8700 Processor 3.2GHz; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5; I can get it for about $1000 incl. tax

Thoughts anyone?  Would you purchase one of these or something different... or cheaper?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow