400mm DO II vs 500mm F/4 II

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Austin7642 Regular Member • Posts: 256
400mm DO II vs 500mm F/4 II

So I am in the market for a lens to provide me with more reach than what my 100-400mm ii with a 1.4x iii extender on my 7d ii can provide that will also give me the same, if not better image quality, at the same time. I've taken a hard look at all of Canon's super telephoto lenses and the two I've narrowed down to are the 400mm II DO and the 500mm F/4 II. From what I've seen of reviews, the 500mm ii is a lens that you can't go wrong with, however, it like most super telephoto lenses is large, heavy and requires a equally heavy tripod, or gimbal for prolonged use. I've also seen a lot of feedback that this lens handles either a 1.4x or 2x teleconverter with little to no loss in quality. In contrast, I've read up that the 400mm II is nearly half the weight and size and has virtually the same iq and takes a 1.4 or a 2x teleconverter with similar iq results.

As of right now, I'm leaning toward the 40mm DO II, but wanted to get some feedback from DP members who have used it before with extenders and preferably have also used the 500mm ii as well. Are there any significant differences in iq/ use beyond the 100mm of focal length and the size/ weight of the two that would make one more use full than another. Also, in particular with the 400mm DO II, I'd mostly be planning to use it with a 2x iii extender on my 7d II instead of with a 1.4x iii and I' wondering, do images taken with the 2x iii still have enough detail and sharpness to them to be printed at larger sizes- say up to 20x24?

Lastly, for anyone wondering what I intend to shoot/ use either given lens for, it would for all sorts of situations shooting wildlife with a particular emphasis on smaller birds.

Austin7642's gear list:Austin7642's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS Rebel T6s Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon 6D Mark II +14 more
Canon EF 400mm F4 DO IS II USM Canon EOS 7D Mark II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow