Salisbury Cathedral: from the inside

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
FujiJon
FujiJon Forum Member • Posts: 80
Salisbury Cathedral: from the inside

I thought you all might be interested in some behind-the-scenes images of Salisbury Cathedral. You get to see these areas if you take a tower tour - I am a guide

The nave roof space. The roof was refurbished in Tudor times (1500s) with revisions in the 1700s.

They added the tower some 50 years after building the rest of the structure. The original wasn't designed for the added 6500 tons of stone. They added metalwork bracing to stop the thing falling down. The white is medieval; the big cross beams are 19th century.

The medieval metal work is wrought iron. They had not nuts, bolts, or welding, so the bits of metal were joined with a form or mortice and tenon joint, in the same way that they jointed wood.

View up the inside of the spire from the top of the tower. I'm standing 224 feet up; 180 feet to go.  This is medieval scaffolding, approx 750 years old.

The original windlass, used to raise everything from ground level to the top of the tower.  It has been dendro dated (tree ring): the axle is medieval, the rest 18th century

Most (all?) of these were taken using a Samyang 12 mm.  Sometime when I can fiddle the time I'll take the XC10-24 up there...

-- hide signature --

If at first you do succeed, try not to look surprised.

FujiJon's gear list:FujiJon's gear list
Nikon 1 J5 Fujifilm X-T20 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +3 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow