Looking for info on the 24-85vr

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
PHXAZCRAIG
PHXAZCRAIG Forum Pro • Posts: 15,463
Looking for info on the 24-85vr

I'm considering getting this lens for one specialized purpose - underwater photography.   Before buying a lens, plus a port and a zoom gear and extension, I'd like to find out more information on the lens itself.

Why this lens?  Because it is the ONLY normal zoom that I see listed for Nauticam housing that includes a zoom gear and a port.   Which rules out both my 24-120 and 24-70 (which I already own).

I don't really care too much about ultimate resolution - I have no choice on the lens choice anyway!  But I do carry about corner issues, and underwater that tends to mean 'close focus ability'.

Question 1 - how close does the lens focus at both 24 and 85 mm ranges?

Question 2 - how flat is the focus plane for this lens?

Question 3 - have you seen any VR issues, particularly around 1/160th-1/250th?

Question 4 - what about corners?  Do they clear up significantly at some f-stop?  Is so, what?  (Underwater performance here tends to be worse, sometimes a lot worse.)

Bonus question - if you've ever used it underwater, what were the pros and cons?

I typically shoot a wide zoom at F8-F16 and a macro at F16-32, so shooting wide open isn't an expectation.

-- hide signature --

Phoenix Arizona Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +37 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow