Topaz DeNoise AI-Refining the process

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
CharlesB58 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,164
Topaz DeNoise AI-Refining the process

Those of you who have followed my concert photo posts know I do a pretty good job of controlling noise in photos taking with my EM1.1s. A few months ago there was a post about how good Topaz DeNoise AI was. I was skeptical, since my initial attempts with the trial version took more effort to get essentially the same results I was getting with my existing workflow and preset I'd made for DeNoise 6.

For the past couple of months I've been trying out different ways of seeing if DeNoise AI would live up to its potential. It took some time for my 61 year old brain to adjust thinking to how the AI analyzes images. I realized I couldn't just drop it into my existing workflow in place of DeNoise 6.

Normally the first thing I do is open up DeNoise 6 from LR (automatically creating a .TIFF file. After processing in DeNoise, I finish up with some other tweaks in LR, then export to the final folder. I have PS set to open automatically to do final sharpening and other tweaks.

Today I ran into a problem with LR not wanting to open DeNoise 6 like it normally does. In an effort to keep things running smoothly (I have 2 concerts done to catch up on, and 2 more this weekend yet to shoot) I decided to do some contrast/WB tweaks in LR, then export to PS, where I found that DeNoise 6 didn't want to work right either. So I opened DeNoise AI and did some fiddling with sliders, and OILAH, the dang app actually gives better results than my old method.

Apparently DeNoise AI likes it when I apply some black level negative slider and a bit of DeHaze. The chroma noise in the shadows issues I was having before disappeared.

Ergo, to anyone feeling like Topaz DeNoise AI isn't capable, I'd submit that playing around with overall workflow might make a difference. Or not. My own workflow is designed to create a final look I like, but it's not for everyone.

-- hide signature --

Photography is not about the thing photographed. It is about how that thing looks photographed. Quote by Garry Winogrand
http://ikkensimages.com

Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow