infrared filters question

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Montanawildlives Contributing Member • Posts: 540
infrared filters question

I have a 590nm converted Fuji xt1.  I wanted to go for a more "pure" infrared experience, so I was going to buy a lens filter--maybe 720nm, or even 850nm.  The reason I did the camera conversion rather than just using filters in the first place was because I wanted to be able to hand hold (which I can, no problem, with the current 590nm conversion).  So my question is: if I attach a 720nm or 850nm IR filter to my lens on this camera, how much will my exposure be affected?  I think not much, because so much more light from 590 to...whatever...is getting through since the sensor-IR filter has been removed/replaced.  So reducing the light in the range of 590 to 720, for example, might cost me a half stop or stop but not....10 stops, for example.  Am I correct?

Also, although Hoya makes a 720 nm infrared filter, the only manufacturer I can find that makes 850 or higher is Neewer.  A budget brand, for sure, but has anyone used them or care to share an opinion?

Thanks!

-- hide signature --
 Montanawildlives's gear list:Montanawildlives's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D500 Fujifilm X-T2 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +9 more
Fujifilm X-T1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow