Confusion about lens equivalence

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Skyler King
Skyler King Regular Member • Posts: 156
Confusion about lens equivalence

This is supposed to be a very simple, straightforward topic that seems to be a little confusing -but only with Fuji- ...

For most APS-C cameras, you multiply the focal length of a lens by 1.5 to get the "equivalent" focal length. For Canon, it would be 1.6 (simple stuff).

However, while browsing B&H (and then other resources to see if the information was consistent across the board, which it seems to be), I noticed that "sometimes" the equivalent focal length of a Fuji lens is, in fact, 1.5x, while other times it is not...

For example; While looking at the 50mm f2, I naturally assume that the equivalent focal length is 75mm. But, it seems that everyone listed this lens as being equivalent to 76mm. I noticed that there are actually several lenses that add an extra millimeter or so to the equivalent focal length. The problem is that what seems to be added is actually inconsistent. It's also not done this way with all of the lenses. Some of them do, in fact, follow a strict 1.5x equivalent formula.

So, what am I missing? Is there some well known answer to this that I am somehow completely unaware of? In the end, I know it doesn't really matter. I mean, you use the lens that is best for the job, who cares about an extra millimeter here or there? It is starting to get the best of my curiosity, though.

Skyler King's gear list:Skyler King's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR +2 more
ANSWER:
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow