Z7 auto ISO seems seriously flawed

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
FingerPainter Veteran Member • Posts: 7,973
Re: Professional target group

Alex Permit wrote:

j2scriba wrote:

...This may be an acceptable design paradigm for a point-and-shoot, but for a presumably professional target group this seems bizarre....

There are three parameters that determine exposure:

Yes, but ISO isn't one of them. The third is scene luminance.

shutter speed, aperture, and ISO. To me, the whole concept of automatically setting two of those exposure parameters seems somewhat bizarre. Setting two parameters automatically requires the camera to read your mind on how you would like to trade off the two.

No it doesn't. The camera manual describes how it uses them and you choose to use that mode, or you don't.

Using "Aperture" or "Shutter" mode with auto ISO is just like using "Program" mode with fixed ISO.

Not it isn't. Using A or S mode with Auto-ISO means that the exposure will vary when you change the setting you control even if the light doesn't . P mode without Auto-ISO mesn that the exposure will not vary when you move the cotnrol dial.

I prefer to fix ISO

Why would you prioritise ISO over something that matters and cannot be fixed non-desructively after capture

and use aperture or shutter priority, or set ISO to automatic and set aperture and shutter manually. Am I alone in my preference?

No

Do "professionals" use auto ISO together with aperture or shutter priority?

Some do. Others don't

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow