What is "surrounding points" in Dynamic-Area description?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
copyfall Regular Member • Posts: 175
What is "surrounding points" in Dynamic-Area description?

I am trying to understand Dynamic-AF area mode and how it differs from Wide-Area mode, should I keep it in GUI or not.

Both Wide-Area and Dynamic-Area have cluster of AF-points and camera should select one AF-point among them for focusing. I have read that in case of AF-Wide mode camera picks up the nearest point. Now the question is how Dynamic-Area differs from Wide-Area?

Nikon documentation is say "Dynamic Area" uses surrounding points also. Does these surrounding points have to be part of the subject being photographed? If this is true, in order to apply Dynamic-Area the subject has to at least occupy the complete Dymanic-Area rectangle. Example: If you consider Eye as main point, nose is surrounding point.

From Nikon documentation says

a) Wide-Area substitutes Group-AF.

b) Recommends Dynamic-Area for Birding and Wide-Area for Trains. Difference between Birds and Trains is that Birds can move randomly where as Train moves in structured fashion.

I do not see use for Dynamic-AF so I am about to remove it from GUI. Before taking that step, I thought of clarifying some of these questions.

Following snippets are from Nikon documentation.

Thanks

copyfall's gear list:copyfall's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF Sigma 135mm F1.8 Art Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF Nikon Z 24-70mm F4
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow