Loving Rokinon AF 45/1.8

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
DenImage Senior Member • Posts: 2,505
Re: Loving Rokinon AF 45/1.8

thiefofpresence wrote:

Just picked up this lens at B&H and deployed to my system in the role of AF normal. Liking it very much, of course because of its fantastically light and small size, optics that look like an homage to the Sony Sonnar 55/1.8.

The AF seems like its was tuned for the version 3.X firmware on my A7iii, and having previously owned Sony Zeiss 55 and 35, I am finding performance to be fast and accurate within a margin of error of Sony Native performance.

Paid the full $399 for it, and am sure that it will be available at times for $299 and be a fantastic steal at that price.

Yeah I mostly agree, but there's a few things I don't like about it. The AF motor is still audible (will be heard by internal mic when recording video), the manual focus ring is too loose (like my Sony 100mm STF), and chromatic aberration is very prevalent.

I paid $385 for mine, so the above compromises are acceptable for the price and compact size and light weight. I purchased it as an less expensive alternative to the Sony FE 55mm which is larger (longer) and heavier, and also has very prevalent chromatic aberration.

I am impressed with the sharpness of the Samyang, both central and edges/corners are excellent from wide open (though less contrast at f1.8). See my brick wall test shots here:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4401572

Den

DenImage's gear list:DenImage's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a7 III Sigma 8mm F3.5 EX DG Circular Fisheye Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 100mm F2.8 GM +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow