Image quality sizes

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
WryCuda Veteran Member • Posts: 8,994
Re: Canon 80D...

sjs9828 wrote:

which has 3 RAW sizes and looks like 8 jpeg sizes to choose from.

So I'm trying to figure out what is good for what and not just save the largest.

Says jpeg S3 is suitable for emailing or websites. That's the smallest.

As far 3 RAW sizes, I wonder why 3 of them. I may be able to use the smallest one for my learning needs now.

I found a couple of web articles that may be helpful.

Im not a techie. Just trying to sort this out so when I do something with the pics I'm prepared.

Took some photos of a nephew and niece at a water park and want to be able to learn to quickly put them on facebook and share with relatives.

You need to be aware of the distinction between image dimensions (e.g. 6000x4000 pixels, or some other values), bit depth (e.g. 12 or 14 for RAW) and "Quality" settings for JPEG.

Most cameras allow you to specify at least some of these parameters for example, my Nikon has an "extra crop" option for 4800x3200 pixels, while my Sony a7 has a choice of four image sizes (FF/APS-C, each with two aspect ratios).

In practice, you will find that it's only rarely that you'll want to change these parameters in the camera set-up. Just shoot RAW or JPEG at "best" settings, and make any adjustments to image size once you decide on the intended publication destination.

You may want to use RAW format for ultimate flexibility, while JPEG is fine for most everyday photography. Note particularly that there is no direct connection between JPEG image dimensions and final file size; everything depends on image complexity and the quality factor that has been selected.

Some commentators refer to JPEG options as various degrees "compression" which is true, but this overstates the amount of data loss. The JPEG format has been cleverly designed (by "experts" ) to minimise the visual effect of reducing the file size.

A wise move for a beginner is to take a high resolution image and export it in a range of formats and sizes, viewing the results either in print or on the screen. Decide for yourself what you need to do for particular applications.

My approach was to take a particularly nice image (high quality JPEG) and export it as TIFF (~70Mb) as well as various JPEG qualities and pixel dimensions. Smallest useful size was 3" x2" (at about 600x400 pixels, 200kb JPEG), for printing as an insert in a laser printed document. I commonly send 2400x1600, 1Mb JPEGs files as email attachments. Obviously, for printing 30" x 20", I used the TIFF.

WryCuda's gear list:WryCuda's gear list
Nikon D7100 Sony a6000 Sony a7
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow