Purchasing a Travel Lens

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
jeffharris
jeffharris Veteran Member • Posts: 9,411
Re: Purchasing a Travel Lens

Falcon04 wrote:

Good afternoon. I am currently living in Europe thanks to my job and have been doing a significant amount of traveling as a result.

You're DAMN LUCKY!

Between reliable, fast, cheap trains and cheap airfares, travel inside Europe is SOOOOO easy! And QUICK! No 7 hour Atlantic hops! BLAH

I'm in the market for a new lens and after reviewing a number of prior threads, I wanted to ask for thoughts with my specifics:

I am not a pro. I own an Olympus E-M10 Mark II and have the 14-42mm II R (f/3.5-5.6) kit lens, a 40-150mm (f/4-5.6) kit lense and a Pany 20mm f/1.7 (v2). On a recent trip, I got tired of swapping lenses based off what I was trying to capture. I'm looking for an all-around lens to capture my family and the places we visit in our travels. My budget is approximately $650.

I've narrowed my choices down to the following:

A. Oly 14-150mm II (f/4-5.6) $599 [New]

B. Pany 14-140 II (f/3.5-5.6) $597 [New]

C. PL 12-60 (f/2.8-4) $629 [Used]

Of these, I've been leaning toward the Pany 14-140 II; but then I came across the used PL 12-60, which is appealing due to the extra 2mm on the wide end, and better aperture across the entire zoom range.

For my general travels, do I substantially gain anything by choosing the PL over the Pany?

The 14-140mm is a great little lens! You can't go wrong with it. Especially the new, weathersealed version. (FINALLY!!!!!)

I'd been experimenting with numerous lens selections for carrying and kind of boiled it all down to the 14-140mm and a couple of fast primes (Voigtländer 17.5mm and 42.5mm). The 14-140mm balks indoors and after sundown.

Having that extra reach with the 14-140mm is really worth having, without lens swapping! Most of my shots are below 100mm, but there are times when I'll use the long end quite a bit.

So, a 14-140mm and at least one (or two!) fast prime for interiors and low light would be good. 15mm f1.7 and 42.5mm f1.7 would be ideal. A simple, flexible kit.

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical +31 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow