Is it really better to use a compact camera like an rx100 over your phone?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
pcunnin Regular Member • Posts: 111
Is it really better to use a compact camera like an rx100 over your phone?

I’ve gotten a lot of compliments on pictures taken with my micro 4/3 camera. However I recently bought an LX10 (similar to a newer rx100 model supposedly) for about $350 new, which was a good price. I’ve been getting some great pictures with it and I think it’s a lot better than my phone. I have a craptastic iPhone 5s which takes mediocre pictures.

However the problem is that on social media it’s difficult to tell, or at least other people can’t tell even if I can between my LX10 pictures and my iPhone.

Photos posted on Instagram and Facebook with my phone get a good number of likes, even though it’s a crappy 5s! The pictures are even a little blurry since it’s quite old and the lens is a little scratched.

LX10 pictures are tack sharp, and I posted some with some really good contrast, lighting, and light and dark but got very few likes, always less than my phone photos.

Perhaps it’s the subject matter or people just prefer more casual posts and photos? It’s easier to whip out my phone and compose a quick post with text than transfer photos, with lots of people at parties etc., status updates, etc.

My LX10 photos have been more “street photography” type photos and perhaps less interesting to people since I just use it to try to get a lot of photos while walking around. Trying to make “artsy” type photos but it seems people can’t appreciate it as much or don’t care.

I thought about using monochrome to try to make my LX10 pictures stand out a little more, any suggestions?? Can people not really tell about the quality difference or is it just a matter of the type of photos I’m taking?

Panasonic LX10 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony RX1 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow