Why no 40mm pancake (or similar)?

Started Feb 9, 2018 | Questions thread
Eric Nepean
Eric Nepean Veteran Member • Posts: 4,287
Re: Its about the ratio and optics

dezinerd wrote:

40 mm has a special optical relationship to the diagonal of a 24x36 mm frame. It was easier for early optical designers to acheive perfection. When the diagonal is changed for 4x3 that might be lost. The owner of Voightlander made an ultron 40 mm lens for his film cameras and then offered it in Nikon, Pentax mounts for SLR. It was about the frame size and focal length not backspace. It is very possible that the chalenges of violating the physics of light and glass in a lens have been surmounted but I believe the "magic 40 mm" stems from the above. I am doing an inaccurate test as I have a cropped sensor Fuji xt2 and its prime 28 f 2.8. I have been very pleased with its rendering and it is a pancake as is my 17-2.8 Oly which performs incredibly well for my use, people pics and using it as a pocket camera for travel. I tryed to read the whole post so if someone else pointed this out please show me mercy, I thought I might be helpful. Look at the first folding 35 mm cams they were closer to 40 than 50 mm. Easy design and manufacture meant quality output at minimum cost.

Konica made the Hexanon AR 40mm F/1.8, whiach was very sharp, and is available used for a very reasonable price.

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Eric

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow