Z7 auto ISO seems seriously flawed

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Peter v.d Werf Contributing Member • Posts: 743
Re: Z7 auto ISO seems seriously flawed

olyflyer wrote:

You have to adjust your camera for the changing conditions, don't ever expect ANY camera to have direct connection to your brains, that's not going to happen.

I could be wrong, but I don't think the OP is confused or doubting what exposure or modes to use or or expecting magic or brain connections (nice one though;-)).

His remark is that the camera offers certain minimum and maximum values which are not upheld as thresholds, but that apparantly by design (and documented in the manual) the shutter speed can still be lowered automatically while not increasing the iso and that (while in auto iso mode) the user has no control over which direction is chosen.
Yes, you can always go full/partial manual, S or whatever for specific situations, no problem, but that is not what the OP is refering to or asking. (at least not from how I read it)

Probably the only solution is to remove the max ISO cap.

It's a good start. There is no reason at all to keep the low maximum ISO, especially not in darkness. There is zero benefit in doing that, especially if you want to avoid motion blur.

A good start could be simply offering the user a choice to either lower the shutter speed or increase the iso beyond the set thresholds if the camera deems it's needed for the proper exposure. Some user prefer one, other the other. Then everyone is happy and the UI better matches the expectations.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow