What to invest in for longer term thinking?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
codyl1992 Forum Member • Posts: 56
What to invest in for longer term thinking?

Hello all - I've been a photo enthusiast for a few years now, beginning in the Nikon D40 era. I used to own the D40 (wish I never sold it!), and eventually upgraded to a Canon 70D, and when it was time to upgrade that I dabbled in Sony for awhile but ultimately came back to Nikon.

The D40 was great to learn on, and when I upgraded it Canon was good for hybrid use, but a few years later when it was time for an upgrade and I didn't see it with them. During this phase of my photography I never had enough money for more than the kit lenses and a cheap prime. Sony A6300 was portable and certainly an upgrade in features but I found the JPEG files to be odd looking sometimes and wanted to still own a DSLR as part of my "system".

Flash forward to today, I own a Nikon Z6 and D850 with lots of lenses, and I struggle sometimes to decide what to keep in the longer term. My current kit with each item's rationale is the following:

D850 - Amazing resolution, sensor, durability, weather sealing, built in negative converter, silent time lapse, 4k, action autofocus

Z6 - portability, ibis, video, durability and weather sealing, silent time lapse, 4k, eye-af, new compact lenses

F Mount:

24-120 f4 - general purpose, travel, etc.

20 1.8G - I sold my 14-24 recently for this. Smaller, faster, good IQ for landscapes and astro, but not as wide, but have 14-30 f4 S.

50 1.8g - general purpose. rarely used.

50 1.4D - use with my f100, sometimes with d850.

85 1.8G - portrait

200-500 - wildlife, aviation

70-300 af-p - travel telephoto, fast AF

60 2.8 micro - macro and for film negative conversions with the nikon negative holder kit

Z Mount:

24-70 f4 - portable kit lens.

14-30 f4 - compact, landscapes, etc

35 1.8s - nice fast prime for general use

I used to have a 70-200 2.8 version 1 but I sold it in anticipation of an eventual upgrade.

Here's my concerns. I love the D850, but its not used as much. I use it for action, wildlife, high resolution, and the negative conversions. It's not as much of a daily use camera. I want a dslr because I like the experience and native access to f lenses, but sometimes I wonder if the D850 is too much investment right now moving forward. I love the z6 as a daily and a travel camera, but its autofocus tracking isn't sufficient for certain action situations. I don't NEED the negative conversion of the 850, I can use negative lab pro in lightroom off the raw files too.

Sometimes I think about downgrading it to a cheaper nikon DSLR, selling most of the f-mount lenses and getting a Sony for a second mirrorless camera with better AF and more native lenses. It seems like investing in any system's mirrorless lenses may be a smarter investment longer term than all these f-mount and f-mount gear. I have rented sony's and I like certain aspects (class leading mirrorless AF, native lenses) but I don't really enjoy using the cameras as much (user interface, "feel", JPEGs still aren't the best, less rugged weather sealing). But I love the 24 1.4gm and the new 200-600 looks amazing. Not really sure what I should do.

My question is, to maximize value over time would anyone recommend selling or downgrading some of my f-mount gear, and what would you switch it to and why?

Perhaps I should just realize that no matter what systems I own, theres always going to be upgrades involved so I shouldn't concern myself too much with investing in "older" stuff that still expensive right now, but that said, its still something I would like to minimize. A person could spend an awful lot right now on F-mount gear that while excellent and usable for many years will become obsolete soon.

Canon EOS 70D Nikon D40 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Sony a6300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow