RAW format choices on mirrorless

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
BruceB609
BruceB609 Contributing Member • Posts: 537
RAW format choices on mirrorless

I'm curious to ask how many may be interested in multiple RAW formats. So glad Canon makes the point!

I actually began digital photos with 4:3, thanks to point and shoot class cameras but when I had an Olympus 8080 (4:3), things began to look more serious. My early DSLR bodies began with Nikon DX, back to 35mm film format, then I waited until Four Thirds evolved. It maintained a RAW 4:3 in a DSLR, to much relief. Today, I use MFT (4:3) and Nikon DX (3:2) but have been looking over feedback on the Canon EOS R that offers multiple RAW formats. I understand this isn't new with Canon but why is Nikon Z, or anyone else, seeming slow to catch on, offering limited variation. I'm not much of a conformist and I want to move on to the Canon like RAW thinking with MFT advantages including the compactness and IBIS.

I feel all this about RAW aspect ratios will be old talk before long because the oldest, most over used format ever has been 3:2. Of course, it looks superb when framing the right image composition but It can be a bit boring otherwise. It's as if everyone uses the same color paint, just one other reason I'm still with MFT (yet even 4:3 is getting a bit dated itself). Different image compositions need different RAW framing and I hate cropping, it's an afterthought. JPEG in camera processing is out of the question.

I'm glad Canon appears to think about different RAW formats. I like to frame what I hope will be the final output. Using a more standard format makes it more difficult for me to frame the best potential in the viewfinder. I hope 1:1, 3:2, 16:9, 4:3, 4:5, or even 6:5 etc., aren't going to be limited to one or two cameras. Anyone feel the same?

-- hide signature --

BruceWB

BruceB609's gear list:BruceB609's gear list
Nikon D7000 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M5 II +9 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow