New Version 6.0 Play Memories Home Has Missing Features

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Stephen McDonald
Stephen McDonald Forum Pro • Posts: 13,897
New Version 6.0 Play Memories Home Has Missing Features

I recently got a new 4K-capable computer and a monitor and had to download the Sony photo and video Play Memories Home program. But the new version of 6.0 they send you now has had some important features removed.

It will no longer upload or even display AVCHD or MPEG 2  videos. The folders I'd loaded with the 5.5.01 version on the older computer had both photos and AVCHD videos on them. Both the photos and videos would play with the older version. But on the new computer with ver. 6.0, the videos don't even appear. I can play them back directly with another playing program and not using Play Memories Home.

Version 6.0 has also eliminated the ability to upload videos from Sony tape-recording camcorders.  They say that previously uploaded videos from tape will still play back on ver. 6.0.  I have a Sony HDV tape-recording camcorder that still works, but not with the new PMH version.

It's possible that some third-party website might have older versions of PMH available for download. So anyway, I just pulled my old computer out of storage and now have re-cluttered my desk with two computers and monitors again, so I will have a way to upload, and do simple editing on PMH with my AVCHD videos. Even though this computer is more than 12 years old, I will ride it to the end and use the new one more for 4K video editing and playing. The old computer does have  a Win 10/32-bit upgrade.

The only reason I can see for no longer recognizing AVCHD videos, is just to push people into buying newer cameras.

As an added note, I'll mention something I discovered years ago, but had to put into use again. It's the fact that despite the promotional hype the companies that make connecting cables will feed you,  it's not essential to have an expensive, dedicated coaxial digital audio cable, to send those signals to your equipment. I needed a 10-foot cable to reach my audio receiver from my old computer and the $25. coaxial cable I had, wasn't long enough. So I took a 10-foot RCA analog video cable ($4.) and used it, with flawless results.

-- hide signature --
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow