ePHOTOzine posts some TG-6 tests

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Enders Shadow
Enders Shadow Senior Member • Posts: 2,552
Re: ePHOTOzine posts some TG-6 tests

smithaa02 wrote:

Enders Shadow wrote:

smithaa02 wrote:

Some of their tests are puzzling...for example in their AWB Mixed Light test, the TG-5 had a more aggressive white balance which is the opposite of what we saw with Imaging Resources:

I'm not sure how you define "more aggressive white balance". Perhaps you would explain.

Whiter whites...blacker blacks...less of a color cast...more of a stretched histogram.

On my 2 calibrated monitors, the white in the color calibration target is more accurate in the TG-6 shot. I'd say it's close enough that it doesn't need any WB correction. The TG-5, being in Vivid mode, had its saturation cranked up. There may have been other tweaked perimeters..

Auto white balance is supposed to make a educated guess as to the color temperature of the ambient light. Doesn't mean whites will be whiter or blacks will be blacker. Nor should it stretch out a histogram. (That's exposure) If done correctly, there shouldn't be any color cast and dominate colors shouldn't become desaturated.

The color differences of TG-5 and TG-6 images are probably somewhat due to inconsistent camera settings.

TG-5 - Picture Mode : Vivid; 2
TG-6 - Picture Mode : Natural; 2

Thanks...yeah that would explain that. In that context comparing the two certainly isn't fair. As a minor note I guess this could mean the TG-6 is less apt to use Vivid in auto. I wish the photographer would have controlled for camera variables.

Both cameras were in Program AE mode. The photographer had 100% control over the picture mode.  Probably they should have done a reset before starting studio tests.

-- hide signature --

Phil

Enders Shadow's gear list:Enders Shadow's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Olympus Tough TG-3 Fujifilm X30 +22 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow