Olympus 35-100 f2 - Lens Hood

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
bofo777 Senior Member • Posts: 1,607
Re: Olympus 35-100 f2 - Lens Hood

zippski wrote:

I have owned a 35-100mm since 2007. Using the lens hood is a necessary evil on this lens. Color saturation is much better with the lens hood attached - and yes, it's noticeable.

I have never noticed any problems with color saturation and I mostly never use the hood creating indoor or outdoor portraits.. However with or without the hood this lens is definitely one of the best lenses Olympus has ever come up with....

The rubber hood sounds nice in theory, but doesn't work in practice. There are cutouts in the factory hood for a reason. Your photos will noticeably vignette at wider angles with a solid ring-type hood without cutouts due to corner shading.

It's a pretty trivial matter to flip the hood around in the bayonet mount for backpack storage - I've never the slightest problem in 12 years.

I bought a used hood to replace a lost hood at KEH a couple of years ago. The earlier poster talking about wear on the lens bayonet is correct - the hood gets noticeably sloppy over time. I usually slip a tiny piece (thumbnail-sized) of kleenix tissue in the groove when I am putting on the hood, which tightens it up perfectly

Leigh

zippski

bofo777's gear list:bofo777's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow