Ideal Amateur Birding Setup - D500/500PF vs new combo: A9/200-600

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
n057 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,940
Re: Ideal Amateur Birding Setup - D500/500PF vs new combo: A9/200-600

lokatz wrote:

Hi Krebnickel, Your question is too multi-faceted to give a complete answer, and personal preferences play a huge role here. I'll therefore simply list where I personally see the pros in either solution. I own the D500/500PF combo, so I'm somewhat biased, but have (to a degree) been envying Sony owners for a long time. Let's please keep in mind that some of this inevitably remains speculation until extensive tests of the new Sony lens are available.

Sony advantages:

- MUCH higher resolution means you get to crop more while still keeping usable images. Alternatively, you have the option to make prints at much larger sizes.

24 MP for Sony, 20.7 for Nikon, that is *not* much higher resolution.

- IBIS: In-body image stabilization performs very well on the a9. The Nikon 500 PF also stabilizes very well for an in-lens system, by IBIS has intrinsic advantages, as stabilization is generally easier to implement and works better the closer to the sensor you do it.

Can you elaborate on this? IBIS works by moving the sensor itself, maybe you mean that since in lens stabilisation takes place somewhere inside the lens, it works better? References?

JC
Some cameras, some lenses, some computers

n057's gear list:n057's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Nikon D200 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Fsi
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow