If you were me what camera do you choose and Why?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
Bob Janes
Bob Janes Veteran Member • Posts: 3,059
Re: If you were me what camera do you choose and Why?

jrtrent wrote:

kombizz0 wrote:

For many years I was a Minolta photographer and witnessed for many years the develoopment of digital technology in cameras, especially Sony cameras because as you know Minolta sold its product to Sony. Over the years I have bought different lenses for my Minolta Dynax 7 (Minolta APO tele-zoom 100-300, Minolta APO tele zoom 100-400 F4.5-6.7, Minolta AF 200mm F2.8, Sigma Macro 105mm F2.8, Sigma Flash EF-430). During this period of change I saved my birthday money for purchasing the Sony Alpha 7 and now have the means to buy any kind only for it's body or perhaps a good 50mm lens.

However, for some time I have been pre-occupied with a dangerous thought that bothers me. This thought says that instead of buying a DSLR Sony A7, why not buy a mid-range mirrorless camera, i.e. Sony A6400 because it is lighter in weight and less complicated with fewer lenses to carry compared with the Sony A7.

On the other hand I would like to have a complete camera that has diversity for taking different tasks from portrait, landscape, to macro, etc

So I am asking if you were me, which thought would you listen to and why? - At present I have a Panasonic DMC-FZ200 that is versatile for travelling but has lots of limitation.

I appreciate your advice in this matter.

If I wanted to use older Minolta lenses with a reasonably light body, and if I could live with the field of view difference that the APS-C format gives, I would buy an A68 body to avoid the hassle, extra weight, and expense of needing an A mount to E mount adapter. The A77 ii is twice the cost, and on paper I don't see myself needing more than the A68 offers. An in-store, hands-on experience might change my mind, of course.

If I also wanted a new, normal focal length prime, I would choose the Sony DT 35mm f/1.8 SAM (52.5mm equivalent focal length), which got a very favorable review from Optical Limits:

https://www.opticallimits.com/sony-alpha-aps-c-lens-tests/646-sony35f18dt

Questions about Sony cameras always leave me thinking I want that A68 to play with. My current DSLR (which I've had for 12 years) is still working great and has an optical viewfinder which I always prefer in side-by-side comparisons with electronic types, but there's something about the A68 that makes me itch to make a purchase.

Another option for you is to forget about interchangeable lens cameras and just live with the limitations of your FZ200. I have an FZ300, and I'm going to make a point of getting out and using it more this summer.

The a68 is a very good way in to using those old Minolta telephotos - and the 200 is a great lens - well worth getting some modern use out of.

-- hide signature --

Save a life, become a stem-cell donor.
Hello to Jason Isaacs!
https://bobjanes.smugmug.com/PoTB/

Bob Janes's gear list:Bob Janes's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha a99 Sony a7 II +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
AOC
AOC
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow