True or Myth? If you use a D850 or other high-res camera you *need* better glass

Started 6 days ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
rsilverst Regular Member • Posts: 113
True or Myth? If you use a D850 or other high-res camera you *need* better glass

I've been reading a lot about the D850. A couple of reviewers online have made a statement to the effect of "If you're going to get this camera then you *need* to have top notch glass or you will be disappointed with your results."

My gut instinct is to call bullsh*t on this, at least in terms of it being an absolute truth. I totally understand that 45+ Megapixels gives you the ability to resolve more detail (and with that detail comes the potential to reveal optical deficiencies). But I don't see why, in an apples-to-apples comparison for a given (reasonable) viewing or print size, a D850 image would be less satisfying with a given lens than the same image taken with a D750.

I *do* understand that if you view an image from the D850 at 100% you'll be seeing a smaller area of the image than you would if you viewed the same image at 100% from a D750. So, yes -- if that's how you do the comparison, you'll be noticing more issues, if any, with lens aberrations.

But if you intended to take a headshot of someone using an 85mm lens, and your end goal is to compare the entire photo of the subject's head, it should not be the case that you'll notice the differences between the two cameras on a typical computer screen, or even on an 8 x 10 print (or probably even double that size!). Therefore, I'd assert that for many practical applications, the statement about needing better lenses if you have a D850 is false (except if you've always wanted to push the limits of how far you can crop or how large you can print, in which case, yes, to take full advantage, you might).

Is there something I'm missing here?

(I understand there are small ISO differences at the extremes between these two cameras, but for the sake of this discussion, let's disregard those, as that's unrelated to the assertion about lens quality.)

Thanks!

rsilverst's gear list:rsilverst's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM | C Tamron 15-30mm F2.8 +6 more
ANSWER:
Nikon D750 Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow