If you were me what camera do you choose and Why?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
alcelc
alcelc Forum Pro • Posts: 10,998
Re: If you were me what camera do you choose and Why?

kombizz0 wrote:

For many years I was a Minolta photographer and witnessed for many years the develoopment of digital technology in cameras, especially Sony cameras because as you know Minolta sold its product to Sony. Over the years I have bought different lenses for my Minolta Dynax 7 (Minolta APO tele-zoom 100-300, Minolta APO tele zoom 100-400 F4.5-6.7, Minolta AF 200mm F2.8, Sigma Macro 105mm F2.8, Sigma Flash EF-430). During this period of change I saved my birthday money for purchasing the Sony Alpha 7 and now have the means to buy any kind only for it's body or perhaps a good 50mm lens.

However, for some time I have been pre-occupied with a dangerous thought that bothers me. This thought says that instead of buying a DSLR Sony A7, why not buy a mid-range mirrorless camera, i.e. Sony A6400 because it is lighter in weight and less complicated with fewer lenses to carry compared with the Sony A7.

Indeed you have a lot more choices. On APSC, there are Fuji which has more excellent lenses than the native APSC lenses support of A6XXX series (It seems that Sony is more happy to expand its FF mirrorless business ).

If you wish to keep the size and weight down, might consider the M43 from Panasonic or Olympus (please bear in mind, body size might not matter much, the lens would be). Better still, M43 has a lot of outstanding quality consumer grade lenses from Panasonic and Olympus. If the speed is not topmost priority to you (i.e. you can live with the f/3.5ish etc lenses), you can keep your fleet of lenses small, light weight, at a low cost and has reasonably good IQ...

On the other hand I would like to have a complete camera that has diversity for taking different tasks from portrait, landscape, to macro, etc

So I am asking if you were me, which thought would you listen to and why? - At present I have a Panasonic DMC-FZ200 that is versatile for travelling but has lots of limitation.

I was also a 30+ years film slr amateur shooter. Under the wish to change (no more brick like slr) when went digitalisation, and my age body cried out loud to carry lighter gear, I had also gone through the path of advanced compact, then bridge cameras and FZ30 was my last one before moving onto lens interchangeable camera.

Because of the not short experience on film slr, flexibility on choices of lenses has deeply printed in my mind. Panasonic G1 was the first mirrorless and since then, use M43 all the way until now. Over the years had considered some other options like Fuji, Sony NEX, Nikon 1 etc but due to this or that, stick with M43 until now.

My wife used FZ5, FZ28 and FZ150, the size of FZ1000 had scared us and so she also moved onto M43 to take the advantage of sharing lenses with me.

On IQ, FF has 2 stops that has more obvious difference due to the sensor size.

However, there is less than 1 stop advantage of APSC than M43 could be more minimal. When the recent M43 sensors can produce good enough IQ upto ISO3200, it would become a matter of a 2/3~1 stop bigger shooting envelop only (can have more flexibility on more difficult shooting environment). If you will not shoot under very difficulty lighting condition often (e.g. >ISO3200 etc), or would have better lenses (e.g. f/2.8 zoom of M43 vs f/3.5 zoom of APSC), basically the difference could be minimal at a return of saving on size and weight.

Our current standard travelling setup:

GX7, 7-14 f/4, 12-35 f/2.8, 45-150 f/4-5.6 (will carry 15 f/1.7 for the coming trip to see would it be really useful. Otherwise might leave home forever). A coverage of 14mm ultra wide angle to 300mm eq AoV of FF. Total weight 1.32Kg (used to be 1.2Kg without the Leica 15 f/1.7).

GX85, 14-140 f/3.5-5.6 (28mm ~ 280mm eq AoV of FF) of <700g.

Size and weight, which greatly determine the movability of my travelling is my primary concern but not losing much on IQ and freedom to use the lenses.

Before another 1" camera system will be launched, IMHO M43 can still be the sweetest compromise on IQ, cost, lens support, size and weight.

My 2 cents.

I appreciate your advice in this matter.

-- hide signature --

Albert

alcelc's gear list:alcelc's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
AOC
AOC
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow