Leaving Nikon 1 - alternative to Nikon J5 for sports?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
noegd
OP noegd Senior Member • Posts: 1,264
Re: Leaving Nikon 1 - alternative to Nikon J5 for sports?

Thank you all for your suggestions so far. I might actually stick with the Nikon 1 for a little longer - there are plenty of 30-110 on the used market that are cheap enough to take a risk. But my experience with the J5 has been a bit frustrating. Much better sensor than previous 1 cameras but the lack of EVF is really annoying. OTOH I am not sure I could stand going back to the V1/V2 or even V3 in terms of IQ.

I have the FTZ but I ruled out the use of adapted lenses for sports - I would loose AF tracking, or any off-center AF sensor, and the whole thing would be much bigger than with any native lens.

I was wondering how the Panasonic TZ200 or Sony RX100 VI would fare. They both are compact, have long zooms and pretty good AF. Sony’s cost is an issue but the TZ200 can be found used for around around 400€ and new for not that much more...

Anything else seems to be much bigger, although a Sony A6300 with a small lens might be acceptable.

This is a camera I would have in my sports bag when competing myself, it needs to be small, inconspicuous and ideally cheap enough in case it gets stolen. If I go to an event specifically to take pictures, I’d take my DSLR.

-- hide signature --

Equipment in profile...

noegd's gear list:noegd's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Nikon D750 Nikon 1 J5 Leica M10 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow